Skip to main content

Loving The Stethoscope

Who needs Dopamine transmission? being with you does the trick- anon

On Loving the stethoscope…

When I took the plunge I had no idea what the water currents felt like, if there’s one major decision which put me at crossroads of should I or shouldn’t i. It was the decision to date HND.
What I know for sure is that after the first month or so everything changes, you get to be around this person more often and you get really comfortable around this person. I was quite comfortable at the beginning anyway but I obviously had my reservations, I remember this evening he was walking me down to where I can board a car; it was dark (thanks to the children of the underworld who stole solar panels for the university street lights) well if you know me well you’d know seeing well in the dark is an extreme sport for me most times I would walk right into a puddle before I realize. Well, he had seen a gutter ahead and offered to hold my hands to cross over in my stubbornness I told him “no don’t! I don’t want to feel helpless/vulnerable” that reply didn’t really sit well with him, all man wanted to do was lend a helping hand but at that point, I was stuck up.
Well, when we knew we liked each other, it was a series of talks and agreements. if we wanted to make it fancy, I am sure we would travel to Camp David to sign accords. The day we finally agreed and stated our terms and conditions we had gone one for what seemed like an hour or more and finally, he concluded with “so we are dating now huh?” and I affirmed.
But then he was a medical student I wasn’t sure how to go about it, trust me I asked Google but I didn’t get what I wanted to know. His professional exams were just around the corner, and in a few weeks, he would disappear from the radar.  And I just felt I should put this here for someone who wants to know what it gets based on my knowledge so far “we learn daily”
·        Become a DIY Person: You have to learn to do it yourself most times, plan dates, plan gigs; you should also learn to spoil yourself. Some evenings go out for ice-cream alone because he has to be curled up with Hutchison’s clinical methods 23rd edition. See it’s not like he has much of a choice and the sooner you understand it the better it gets for both of you. Look on the bright side you get to hang out like a single gal it gives you the feel of being like Hannah Montana you can switch up to being low-key Miley Cyrus. Boo-ed up on Friday and by Monday you hear funny stories of what happened in A & E or during his clinical rounds, And days you have to cancel that date night because his assessment is for next week. It’s a roller coaster ride with these humans.
·        Contrary to popular opinion and insinuations they aren’t boring: amongst medical students, you would see all kinds of people, like pure characters there’s this guy whose accent used to annoy me and he seemed really annoying like he’s so funny. These ones are the life of the party and I keep asking how do you guys do all this it's like they have a crash course on all parties or activities missed and use one to make up for it. Most of them are well read I’ve had medic friends who would talk about let’s say the Crusades, the Renaissance or even the cold war and not from the shallow standpoint they carefully cut it open like they are about to take on an appendectomy. I used to think they were simply bookworms but these worms find a way to slip away and bite into fresh apples. Though there are some laid back ones you could blame it on personal temperament and personal issues.
·         Don’t stress him: I think this should be like number one but if there’s a major turn off for this one’s its stress, it’s like every single thing stresses you; Classes you can’t miss so you make up 75 attendance, plus you have to read like at least 3 hours a day or something, from this you would move around the hospital for ward rounds and you would constantly be questioned by your lecturer. And these people still need to like have a social life online and offline, you need to understand he won’t likely fall back to you for support sometimes (of course he would come around but not always) most times they don’t bother because we find it hard to understand. Your significant other now has to juggle you {Your royal Majesty} the stress with med school, a social life on and offline, side jobs in my case he does content creation, handles social media pages, volunteers or does graphic designing and when he’s not doing those he’s being my boyfriend *tongues out* because that’s a  whole lotta work.  Now he has to show up for dates, call you every morning with a handwritten Shakespearean poem and bring you breakfast in bed while running you a hot bath and taking time to notice your ombre lipstick or your creamy espresso nude lipstick and pick between your fuchsia pink or bubble-gum pink or crepe pink the previous, to him it’s just pink men don’t really care about colors or helping you pick an outfit except on special occasions).  ease the burden don't become one UNECESSARILY.( your permitted sometimes, tell me what kind of girlfriend isn't an ogbanje-like human being?)


·        He loves you no matter what: like how would I ever say this in a way that would reassure you on those weeks he goes under the radar with few phone calls and online presence. If you’re stubborn like me and you are around during these times. He could sit down at that study table making scribbling’s if he’s keen on getting things done orderly and keeping track he would have his sticky notes filled with what he has to do and that smile of fulfillment as he strikes through what he has covered ( and he sure looks really handsome when he has a serious face on ). On loving you now these ones have funny ways of showing you and constantly are on the lookout for risk factors and red flags concerning your health and general well-being some of them would call it being cautious, I say break a leg every now and then. You haven’t seen them in a while as you give a warm embrace you could hear stuff like “why’s does your body temperature seem high today?”  “ah the position of that knife seems like a disaster waiting to happen” sometimes those “annoying health nuggets” is just his way of trying to make sure your health from you taking probiotic yogurts to a ban on soda (he simply cares, but I find my way around that). I asked many of them (the Student doctors) and if there’s any point them emphasized they’d want you to know it’s that; they love you no matter what.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing ma'am. It was awesome reading this😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to our world..
    Thanks for understanding...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol this is quite the roller coaster. Good read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feels like I have mushrooms in my stomach 😊😄😃. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are lillies growing in my belly right now...your words seem to water them to blossom

    ReplyDelete
  6. ������ I'll take your word for it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GROWING UP AN ONLY CHILD

Growing up as only child has giving me a rare view of life, I’ve been constantly tagged with the only child syndrome with this tag which is somewhat overwhelming most times.  Just to correct the notion I don’t think any child decides to be an only child really, we should stop that. I’m an only child and aside growing up without siblings I don’t think I’m less of a human being than people with siblings. I never personally chose my status as an only child. The feeling that comes with being an only child could be somewhat contradictory at some points, one minute I’m excited about the new video game my dad bought for me and the next I feel bad because I’ve seen the game is fun in a two player mode, one moment I’m excited about my big box of clothes and the next I wonder what it would have felt like if I had  senior sister to give me hand-me-downs or a younger sister who would constantly borrow my clothes and wear them when they feel I’ve forgotten. This roller-coaster feeling is

"LOVE" AND THE COFFEE SHOP

Time after time I always envisaged the day I’d find love in a coffee shop, so I had a lot of coffee and a caffeine addiction. So I sat in coffee shops reading novels while sipping on my hot creamy coffee hoping that one day “love” would bump into me spilling my coffee on my “Sefi Attah” and I would bend over to rescue my book drowning in the small puddle of creamy coffee, and maybe like those western movies he would be a perfect gentleman who would get to it before I do and apologise profusely and maybe offer to buy me another cup. Or perhaps I felt “Love”  would sit at the other end of the coffee shop taking quick glances at my book cover and ask out of curiosity why I choose to read Mario Puzo’s “ The Godfather” or Sun Tzu’s “ art of war” and probably tell me how he finds it intriguing that I make such book choices. After a long debate on God knows what I’d remember I have to get to a meeting and I could rush out leaving him with no contacts, but its “ Love” anyway. He would